Monday, May 16, 2011

What is the medieval marrige like?

Medieval marriages were not equal. Wives were allowed to be beat by their husband if disobedient. Wives were occasionally afraid of their husbands. Many couples in arranged marriages developed real affection for each other. I would love to have a real happy marriage, it would be scary if I had a bad marriage and be scared of my husband.
For nobles, marriages were practical mutters and carefully arranged. But for the high nobility, marriages were political. Most wealthy people married someone who was chosen by their parents. Young people usually married between ages of 12 and 15 years old. I think it very weird because they are so young.
It was popular for a night to choose a married woman and love her from a distance. The night would fight for her in battles and tournaments. it was known as courtly love. Have children was important to married people.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is nit right for a women to get beat by her husband. I think people should get marrid around 20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can not belive that they thought that it was ok for men to beat women. Also, if they were 12 or 15 they were way to young to be getting marrried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that husbands would stay away from their wife because of the baby because if it was a bad husband then the baby wouldn't get hurt. The thing i wouldn't do is marry some one at the age of twelve

    ReplyDelete